It’s the Little Things
When I woke up the other day in a less than great mood, I wondered if I would be able to salvage my day or get anything productive done. Then I stopped to think about some of the little things that make me happy.
While not every day can be a bed of roses, and there are some days when our stars and planets are just not aligned, if we try to think of just a few of life’s simple pleasures, we are sure to turn things around. Nothing earth-shattering needs to happen to make my day complete. In fact, I always say, “It’s the little things in life”. When I say that, I am not talking about all the little things that can bother us, disturb our thoughts or make us feel uneasy. I am talking about the nice little things, things that some people might consider silly.
Little things can mean different things to different people. Personally, as there are so many little things on my list, I thought I should share just a few off the top of my head, in no particular order:
- Enjoying my morning coffee on the balcony.
- A sparrow hopping around the sidewalk in the summer.
- Knowing there is already something in the fridge for dinner.
- Getting the elevator right away, and all to myself.
- Being able to write outside instead of working indoors on a beautiful day.
- Getting into bed at night after the linens have been changed.
- A fresh bar of soap.
- Putting on a brand new pair of socks for the first time.
- The fact that I am lucky enough to have two good legs and feet that give me the freedom to walk.
- When everyone goes away for a long weekend and our normally crowded city is quiet and peaceful.
- A really good night’s sleep.
- Reaching into your pocket and discovering money you didn’t remember putting there.
I could go on and on but you get the idea. The next time you are about to chalk up an entire day as being a complete write-off, don’t forget to take a moment to appreciate what life’s simple pleasures mean to you. After all, a bunch of little things can add up to a whole lot of happiness.☺
Copyright © by Andrea Freedman 2014